Jaguars are renowned for their elegance, comfortability, and luxury. Their high-performance standards and smooth driving experience make them one of the most sought-after cars in the world.
As elegant and efficient as your Jaguar can be, it is still susceptible to an ignition coil failure. Your car won’t start without a properly-functioning ignition coil. To keep your Jaguar functioning at its optimum, it is important to constantly take your car to a certified Jaguar automotive expert for routine inspection, maintenance, and repairs.
Ignition coil failure shows some warning signs, which should not be ignored, before it deteriorates into a complete failure. It is important that you understand what an ignition coil is, what it does, and what the warning signs of an imminent failure might be.
What is an ignition coil?
The ignition coil is an induction coil that helps to amplify the voltage provided by your car’s battery to a higher voltage. The high voltage electricity is then used to provide enough power for the spark plug to create a spark that would ignite the fuel within the car engine, beginning the combustion cycle.
The ignition coil enhances the driving experience of your Jaguar. It ensures the car keeps running smoothly. Failure of the ignition coil would cause your car to experience poor acceleration and reduced gas mileage.
Jaguars are known to have ignition coil issues. In order to avoid any impending failure, ensure that your Jaguar is carefully and thoroughly inspected by a Jaguar specialist routinely.
Potential Causes of Ignition Coil Failure
The ignition coil, like every other car part, is susceptible to failure, and there are different factors that can result in its failure or damage. The following eventualities can give us a clear picture as to how your Jaguar can experience a low or depleted performance as a result of a failed ignition coil.
- Contact Faults: High humidity in the car’s engine can result in the corrosion of the ignition coil’s contacts, thereby leading to reduced conductivity. The high humidity in the engine is as a result of engine washing.
- Mechanical Damage: This is a result of the damage to the ignition cables, which was due to a failed valve cover gasket. It can also be caused by damaged insulation or engine oil leaks. Ignition coil damage can render the ignition coil inoperable and dangerous, as the risk of spark increases exponentially.
- Short Circuits: Every electronic part is prone to having short circuits. The ignition coil is not left out, as it is also an electronic part. Short circuits in ignition coils are a result of coil overheating, which can be caused by increased engine temperatures, module failure, ECU issues, or worn-out coils.
- Signs and Symptoms of a Faulty Ignition Coil: When the ignition coil fails or is failing, the driver will usually be alerted through a variety of clear signs, which need to be addressed quickly to prevent further damage.
- Spark Plugs: If you notice that your spark plugs are failing, then it is a sign of the negative effect of the failed ignition coil. This is because a failed ignition coil produces dangerous power surges that can damage the spark plug. It might even force the coils in the spark plugs to work extra hard, wearing out in the process.
- Vibrating Engine: While driving your Jaguar, if you notice that the engine vibrates or shudders more intensely. It is an indication that some of its delicate interior parts, like the ignition coil, are damaged.
- Engine Overheating: One major cause of ignition coil failure is overheating. If you observe that whenever your car’s engine overheats, there is always a related ignition problem, then it’s likely that your ignition coil is compromised and needs immediate attention.
Entrusting Your Jaguar to Experts in Boca Raton
Our automotive specialists at World Class Auto Repairs can help if your Jaguar is experiencing ignition coil failure or any other issue. In order to get you back on the road before a significant negative impact on your daily life, our mission is to diagnose problems and repair them as quickly as possible.
In our business, we do the job right the first time to create happy customers and allow you to steer clear of expensive dealer visits in the future. In addition to servicing and repairing Jaguars and other European vehicles, we also offer OEM parts and reconditioning services.